Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Flat Rock was no ROCK

"It's just a short hike up Flat Rock" declared our sweet family members at Medford, Oregon and Tim and I believed them. As you can see, this scenic hike was made up of steep inclines and many steep switchbacks. After several conversations there was a final decision to 'go for it.' Hooray! We were all going to go on the hike. I was particularly determined not to be left behind in the car and I had a resolved that if 5th graders from our cousin's class could do it, so could I!!

Truthfully, my determination was one thing but the ability to climb a mountain was another. After several 'rest stops' and over an hour later. We all made it to the top. The view was spectacular! Something I could never duplicate or would of understood from the bottom of the mountain. We took our time and walked around this magnificent area where dainty flowers grew and beautiful birds flew by. The difficult climb fade away as I rested and ate lunch. It was a memory maker!

Later on that day, I thanked our cousins for their patience with me in climbing up Flat Rock and their encouraging words each time we had to stop and rest. They were so understanding that this California girl was out of shape and really lacked the willingness to take one more step.

In reflection, I have thought about my life and the many "Flat Rock" experiences I have had these past few years. 'Inclines of sorrow' and brokenhearted situations. 'Switchbacks of painful words spoken' that only cause me to be less than determined to go on. But it was the rest stops in the faith that refreshed my thirsty soul on this journey. Staying consistent by going to church, praying with friends and learning how to be more effective from others who had gone before me. These and many other things have helped me reach the top of yet another Flat Rock in life.

So remember... Even though "Flat Rock" was no Rock at all, the view from the top was a life changing experience! Take the steps on your climb and see for yourself... (don't forget to stop and rest)

No comments: